(The RYA Day Skipper, Yachmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Distance Learning courses are delivered by Navathome, an RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training. Seamotion only acts as an agent for them and so these courses are covered by a separate set of terms and conditions found here)
The Seamotion terms and conditions of business cover all practical courses, online courses and classroom based theory courses. They are aimed at protecting both parties and ensuring our relationship with our customers is clear. Please, however just give us a phone or email if you have an issue, so that it can be resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
- All bookings are made with SeaMotion Ltd, and are not deemed to be a contract until full payment is made.
- The contract will be subject to these booking conditions which are governed by Scottish Law.
- If booking is made by telephone or internet, then it is understood that the customer has read and accepts these booking conditions, which are clearly displayed on our website and booking forms.
- SeaMotion reserves the right to change prices as necessary.
- The issue of RYA certificates is based strictly on RYA guidelines. Certificates will not be issued, if in the opinion of the instructor, the customer has not reached the necessary standard. In these circumstances the instructor will work with the customer to develop an action plan to achieve the award in the future.
Cancellation by SeaMotion
- SeaMotion has a responsibility to deliver a safe and professional product. Circumstances outside our control (eg. weather) may affect this and we reserve the right to cancel or modify the product being offered as we feel necessary.
- Some of our courses require a minimum number of candidates in order for them to run. We reserve the right to cancel a course if we do not get the required number on the course.
- If we cancel or modify a course at any point then we will offer you an alternative course, or a full refund.
Cancellation by you
- If you cancel up to 4 weeks before the course, then you will receive a full refund.
- With less than 4 weeks notice then there is a full course fee payable. However, we will endeavor to fill the space, and if we manage to do so, will give you a full refund.
- Under Distance selling regulations, you have a statutory cooling off period of 7 business days from the day you paid for and received your course. During this period you can cancel your purchase by notifying us that you wish to cancel the contract, and we will give a full refund. Any course materials that have been supplied must be returned in 'as new' condition and the postage paid. Access to the online course material is then stopped immediately. You will not be able to claim a full refund if the course materials have been damaged or used or if you have no proof of purchase.
- Once payment has been made students will be sent the course pack (if appropriate) and be supplied with the login information to access the online course. The course pack will be sent out within 2 business days. An additional fee may be charged if outside the UK.
- Students are responsible for ensuring they have access to the internet and email to complete the course. Minimum computer requirements are stated for each course, and students are responsible for ensuring their equipment meets these minimum requirements.
- Online courses are not transferable and are for the applicant only.
- To enable access to your online course we need to share some of your personal data with the RYA via your user profile in www.ryainteractive.org. This learning management website is hosted and maintained by a third party called Learning Pool, who will not use your personal information for any reason other than enabling your course. Your name and email address will be entered on www.ryainteractive.org in order to create your user account. On your first access to the site, you will be asked to enter your address and date of birth. You will have access to the site for one year in order to complete your online course. During this period, your personal information will be held on the website by Learning Pool and be available to this training centre and the RYA for the purpose of managing your course. Instructional support will be provided by the training centre for a period of one year from the date of your course booking. On completion of your course, your name, email, date of birth and address will be transferred to the RYA's central database for the purpose of recording details of the course and any certification you gain as a result of it. This information allows the RYA to record your certification, to update any records they may already hold about you or your qualifications and to verify your certificate if required. After one year from the date of your enrolment on the course, your user account will be removed from www.ryainteractive.org. Full details of how the RYA will deal with your personal information will be displayed when you first access www.ryainterative.org.
Own boat tuition
- The customer will ensure their boat is in an appropriate state for the course, and meets the minimum requirements stipulated by the MCA and RYA. All equipment should also have been serviced in accordance with these requirements (eg. Lifejackets, fire extinguishers etc). SeaMotion undertakes to communicate these requirements to the customer at time of booking.
- The customer will remain the skipper, and responsible for the safe management of the vessel at all times (including when under tuition), and will not hold the company responsible for any loss or damage. They undertake to ensure that their insurers consent to this.
- Whilst SeaMotion takes all reasonable precautions to prevent accidents and injury, the customer acknowledges that these activities participated in carry a risk of accident and injury. Customers should ensure they are capable of taking part in a days physical activity.
- In the interests of safety customers must abide by the decisions of the skipper.
- It is the responsibility of customers to inform SeaMotion of any medical conditions or medication being taken that may affect their performance.
- SeaMotion reserves the right to ask a customer to leave a course if their continued participation jeopardises the safety or enjoyment of other course members, or if it is suspected they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to wear appropriate clothing, including full waterproofs and non slip footwear.
- SeaMotion is not liable for any loss, injury, accident or damage that may arise through the normal participation in activities. It is the responsibility of the individual to ensure they are adequately insured for activities participated in.
- Seamotion is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture for all present and potential participants, members, instructors, coaches and employees. It is within our interest to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination.
- We are committed to providing equality and fairness to all and on an equal basis, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation.
Complaints and feedback
- We welcome feedback as it is an opportunity to improve our services, and this can be given either to the instructor, manager or office.
- If a customer is dissatisfied with any aspect of the service, then initially this should be discussed as soon as possible with the instructor, so that all efforts can be made to resolve the problem immediately.
- If this is not possible then full details should be sent to SeaMotion within 14 days.
Use of materials and information
- SeaMotion reserves the right to use any photograph or video taken during normal operations, without obtaining further consent from a customer, for use in marketing materials.
- Personal information is used by us to process your booking and for attending to your safety when on a course. Some information will also need to be shared with the RYA.
- SeaMotion reserves the right to send promotional and marketing materials to customers (however this can be opted out of by contacting us)
SeaMotion Limited is registered in Scotland. Company registration no. 300202. Registered Office: Shoreside, Balmeanach, The Braes, Portree IV51 9NH